Thursday, August 1, 2013

August 1 - Niagara on the Lake




















Last night as we walked around the city of Niagara Falls, I was extremely disappointed. I
felt as if I was on the boardwalk in Ocean City and the natural wonder of Niagara Falls disappeared. For this reason, I knew I didn't want to explore other attractions in the area and took a bus 10 miles north of the city to Niagara on the Lake.

My first impression of Niagara on the Lake was beauty surrounded by history and the area looked like Victoria. The city had lots to offer - parks, waterfront, history, vineyards, boutique shopping and elegant dining. The city was the first capital of Canada and the courthouse dates back to the mid-nineteenth century. The reenactment of the British decree during the war of 1812 helped us place the history of the war with the British in proper perspective. Battles between the regiments at Fort Niagara and Fort George resulted in the occupation of the town by the Americans for a short period of time.

From the waterfront one can see Fort George on Lake Ontario and Toronto in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment