Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 10 - On the way to Cambridge, MA

Minuteman Statue
North Bridge



































Incredible weather, beautiful scenery, historic sites and paved and tree-lined bike paths marked our last day of riding.

Traveling through Concord was a history lesson. We cycled into Minuteman Park and stood on the old North Bridge where the "shot heard round the world" started the Revolutionary War.

A vivid remembrance of my childhood is The Little Woman series of books which I read again and again as I fell in love with the characters. Can you image my surprise when I found the Orchard House where Louisa May Alcott wrote these books? Unfortunately, the tour was an hour and with 20 miles left to cycle, we had no time. I loved the phrase on one of the shirts in the store, "Little Women grow up to be Great Women".

I was slightly worried about cycling into Cambridge but Minuteman Commuter Bikeway led us almost all the way to the city and then a sidewalk trail following the Charles River led us to our final destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment